First, in a very last minute decision (as in on the cutoff day), I signed up to go to this year’s RWA! Fortunately it’s being held in Anaheim, CA, which makes it drivable for me. It’s my first time going and I can’t tell you all enough how excited I am. For those of you who don’t know what RWA is, it’s the biggest conference of the year for romance writers. There’s workshops, luncheons, publisher’s parties, and the opportunity to mix and mingle with everyone who’s a fan of romance just like you.
So while I know many of the RWA attendees have already left/arrived, here’s a list of the things I’m bringing on my daily trek to the conference:
- RWA agenda – Don’t wait to figure out which workshops you want to go to, use RWA’s handy agenda builder to create your schedule .
- Literacy Autographing list – With over 400 authors going, print out the list and highlight the ones you want to meet.
- Big purse/ laptop bag – there are handouts and goodies to take home and you don’t want to lose anything!
- Laptop – Great for taking notes.
- Phone – I’ll be using mine to tweet on. I heard there’s a Wi-Fi charge, so I’d rather use my phone.
- Camera – Don’t know about you, but I’m be super excited to meet my favorite authors and that’s going to need a photo.
- eReader – You never know when you might have a few moments to spare and sharing whatever you’re reading is always a handy icebreaker.
- Business cards – Keep in touch with all the other readers and authors you meet. I designed mine just last week and they’re due to arrive today!
- Water & snacks – To tide you over in between meals.
- Sweater – As with all hotels, temps vary from room to room.
- Pen/Paper – For taking notes, jotting down reminders, etc.
- Cute heels – A girl’s always gotta look her best!
- Bookplates, pens, other promo materials – I don’t have these just yet, but they’re great giveaways once you’re published.
Did I forget anything? Let me know! By the way, if you’re going, be sure to drop me a tweet at @kristynnichols—I’d love to meet you!